Sunday, February 2, 2014

Hats, Ties, Belts and Brooches

You've got to be wondering what I mean by the title, right? OK. Well, this is how I made my bedroom work and make my husband happy as well.
 
If you've ever tried to make a room both feminine and comfortable yet masculine you might know what I struggled with. My husband, a lifetime rugby player (you're quintessential tough guy), has always been a great supporter of my creativity. I've tried to keep his sentiments in mind while I put our room together (he is a great help with the painting of course). I use accessories like his ties, belts and my hats and baskets to decorate. When you decorate a room, you want it to make you smile! So I'll start with our closet. Where else?!
 
 
This is a glimpse into the closet my wonderful husband built for me. He made it possible for me to bring our two styles together. Take a look below and see the way we have made it flow...

 
First we have our belts and his ties with one of my jewelry boxes and my scarves.

 
In this view you can see some of my hats and a neat way to display your everyday clothes. Even if you do not have walk-in...you can make this design a part of your closet and home organization as well. Like I said, my husband and I made this closet ourselves, you can do this too!
 
 
OK! Now close that door. We are now to our sitting area...have a seat for tea!

We vacationed in Europe last year...It was the best trip I've ever experienced. While there, I fell in love with having tea. I've always loved tea but the whole production of it...I had no idea. When I went to Scotland they had tea and scones with clotted cream and jam. It was one of the most delectable afternoon treats.
 

 Please notice the deer antlers...this is one area in which I have brought in some masculinity. Form meets function with this piece in that you can't get more manly than the antlers and it serves as a great place to hang a work out bag.
 
Next is where I bring in my children, my girls. They are my husband's and my life, if anything...they are the one thing we agree on ;) . Here is where I remember them as babies...
 
I matted and framed the gowns in which I brought them home from the hospital. I believe that nothing should be stored away if you love it, especially in decorating. The candle stick holders, my husband made from an old spindle turned staircase.   
 
 
My vintage purses have some antique brooches that I love pinned to them. They were in the last post as well but it's one more element where you can incorporate something you love without storing it away.  
 
Here is where I break the rules...yes, I am a little bit of a rebel. One rule of decorating is to not necessarily bring in personal details. I would like to show you how I did it!
 

 
I wanted a collage of my family. As my family grew, so did my collage. When I began, I started in the middle.. as you add to the top, you must be proportionate to the bottom. No other rule than that.
 
 
Where I relax...
 

 
This chair...has been recovered like 13 times. It has been a timeless piece within my home and has transformed countless times. This gingham style has become my favorite. Nicole...you may not be reading...but thank you for the lamp, all that I changed was the shade. PS...love you, you're beautiful!
 
My husband and my daughters.. I've always wanted to know what they thought. When I've tried something I always have said.. "I love it!!....You love it??!"
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Awww I love it ♡♡♡...And my cup runnith over. . Love ya~~~

    ReplyDelete