Sunday, February 9, 2014

DIY: How To Give Handtowels Pizzazz!

In my last blog I mentioned my hand towels and how I would bring them up again. The hand towels featured in my bathroom were store-bought but a lot of times if I can't find the style I'm looking for I just make my own or I will add a little flair to a store-bought piece.
 I found this small piece of blue fabric at the flea market which already had the blue ribbon attached. I just added the elaborate trim! To keep embellished towels in shape hand wash and lay flat to dry.
 


The cowboy hand towel would be perfect for a child's bathroom but I plan on using mine for a picnic in the summer. I'm using the leftover cowboy fabric that I made the hand towel to redecorate my grandson Fin's room (upcoming blog!) .

The hydrangea towel started with a plain piece of white cotton material. I than cut out the hydrangea and sewed it on using the zigzag stitch. To give it an old look, I added a crocheted border along with the old French knot. 

Step-by-step instructions on how-to!

I've taken a simple monogrammed towel from the store that I prewashed beforehand (you can also use a plain one too).

My towel measures 16' across so when you make your strips you want them to be 1 1/2 inches longer for the seam. (The strips measure 17 1/2'x5' and 17 1/2'x 2 1/2') Make sure that you wash fabric before cutting incase it shrinks.
I than folded my strips and ironed them down placing the smaller strip on the larger and sew them on the raw edge.


Take your sewn strip and flip the small strip so that the seam does not show (iron it down) than take your sides and fold to make a hem.

 Now it's time to sew it on! Just place it on the towel and sew straight across (pin in place if needed).

This is my huge helper. Literally. Look at him work!




2 comments:

  1. Great inspirations....always looking for a project. The towels are lovely. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete