Sunday, February 23, 2014

Life is always evolving

Our garden is dormant now but this is the time to think of Spring. It's time to start looking at seed catalogs (I love the organic ones) and the spectacular heirlooms that are out there. My garden brings forth all kinds of wonderful gifts such as sitting and enjoying Gods beauty or the delectable bounty it brings forth. We have to start somewhere so lets start at the foundation, composting.
The kitchen is a good start for composting! I use an old red bucket with a lid for all of my food scraps. You can fill your bucket with left over tea and coffee grounds, egg shells, and raw remains of chopped veggies.( No meat or bone product.)My compost bucket gets emptied every four or five days in to the out side wood bin.


Michael, my husband, made me this custom compost crate. We alternate vegetable scraps and leaves to create a beautiful organic matter.
This is our compost leaf pile that we stir with a pitch fork every two weeks. The importance of stirring the pile is because the leaves break down faster and the underneath you will find the pure organic matter (this is what is  going to make a fabulous garden).Of course Tula our Australia cattle dog and (baby) Ferguson Dash Bigglesworth our corgi are always making sure things are done properly.

Here we are mixing compost and organic leaf matter into the soil to create a rich soil base that will ready the soil for a beautiful spring planting.
Baby, my corgi, is overseeing the construction to make sure everything is done properly.
This is the finished product that allows us to be ready to plant our spring crop.This is the foundation and on my upcoming blog you will see this garden transformed in to what is the unexpected.
"Of all the wonderful things in the wonderful universe of God, nothing seems to me more surprising than the planting of a seed in the blank earth and the result thereof" - Celia Thaxter


No comments:

Post a Comment