Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mirrors of Gold and Old Shipwood

As you enter my front door this is the room that greets you. Welcome! Please come in....
 I would like to begin with my focal point, every room needs one!
 In this case, the focal point is the couch which is painted and highlighted in gold. It was purchased from an old antique barn and looked more like it had seen better days. The wood was dark and almost black from the old varnish and the fabric was tattered and torn. I had to strip the wood first then came the gold that I layered on. Working with a neutral covering worked well so I could use pillows to bring in and balance my color.
 
 The triple pleated curtains I made in the back ground helps to set the room off. The soft teal is the color I picked out to start this project. Large rods are very expensive so I went to my local lumber yard and purchased the large dowels and just sprayed them gold along with the bamboo rings. The beautiful pained window is another lovely gift from my husband that he made for me from one of his window finds. The coffee table is another one of my favorites, it is made from an old ship hatch with the rusty medal still attached. I feel like this piece gives the room a nice rugged quality. My husband just added legs that he made from an old piece of wood. Yes, I even get beautiful pieces of old wood out of the trash. The cute little writing table was on the side of the road and had to be completely glued back together but I'm glad I took the time, its perfect for this room. The teal sideboard is from Habitat it needed a little pizazz so in came the brighter teal. (thank you cousin Harriet for showing me Habitat! Harriet is also a very beautiful decorator and has given me wonderful ideas.) Complimenting the sideboard is my wonderful shell lady that was a gift from my cousin Jennifer. ( Jennifer's decorating decor in her house is one of my most admired.) The large plain door was removed and the small french doors were added to give the room an opened look. Thanks to my sister Joy I got the idea. The doors had to be teal to compliment the curtains and sideboard.
This beautiful book case was handmade with no nails and was  antique painted by my husbands mother Lorain years ago. Red is always a beautiful color to compliment the teal and blue in my house.



 
 
This mirror sideboard is really a beautiful oak piece under the white paint. Yes I painted it and I can always strip it back to the original if I need to use it in a darker setting. Never be scared to change something you can always strip color or add. The hanging christening gown is my daughter Amanda's and it makes a statement in a white room.Sometimes using what we have makes a big impact when decorating.
Thank you for stopping in, please come again!










 

No comments:

Post a Comment