Monday, March 24, 2014

Old Rope Bed Made Into A Bench.


Sometimes I get house pieces that don't end up the way they are intended. This is the case here. I had my wonderful husband help me with this transformation project.


So to begin, we cut the bottom of the bed in half, now each end turns and fits up to the head board.
When you turn the bed like this you will need two people for the next step. As I hold the side in place my husband drilled a hole for screw placement. This old bed already had a place for a screw on the back side of head board, so that became our guide. I used the original old bolt screws for this but you can buy them at a local hardware store. Now you will do the same on the other side.

Now we have taken the side rail off the rope bed and cut it to fit the front of the bench. Again you will need a helper while you drill for placement of screws to attach the front rail. This part of the bed also had holes for screw placement , so we used this as our guide and drilled into the front piece. You should have all four sides together.

To finish up this piece we used 1x2 's on the inside of seat as a frame to hold the seating. The seating is cut from an old wooden beam that Michael and I found on one of our finds. I finished off with a stain and a piece of old Charleston architectural trim.

1 comment:

  1. I know that is late response, but I'd like to mention a bench manufacturer design is more beautiful and comfortable to sit.

    In case you need info about discount furniture collection take a look at here.

    ReplyDelete