Wednesday, March 12, 2014

An Inviting Guest Room



 There is nothing better than a wonderful bed to climb in when you are exhausted from a long day. That is just what I want for my guests. So I start with my sheets. I wash them in fresh lavender . Lavender is so relaxing and helps give a peaceful sleep. There is always a folded quilt at the bottom of the bed to make sure my guest are never cold!


You already know I love French and the color blue, so in comes the french wall covering. It is not hard to put up wallpaper and doing it yourself saves a lot of money.The mirror above the small dresser was published in my last blog, it's made with vintage jewelry.I always share my secrets, so here is one. The bed skirt around the bed I sewed and hemmed but it is actually stapled on to the bed. The bed was originally my daughter, Cassie's. It was poorly stained and needed some repair. To give the bed a rustic feel, I mixed blue paint with some water to thin it. While still wet, I took a rag and wiped the bed with watered down white paint. I love the look!




Every guest room needs an area where your guest can sit and relax. I used an antique wicker couch that I recovered with neutral fabric and pillows to add a splash of color.


I love pictures, but sometimes I like to go a little unconventional and throw in the unexpected. The two dresses displayed are from my antique finds and I just put them in frames from Goodwill. When you are shopping for frames, used goods stores are always the most inexpensive way to go.



The striped curtains in the room are ones I made; they are easy and simple to do yourself.You don't always have to do a pleated top. With these, I lined them with black out backing so the morning sun would not disturb my guest. I will have a future blog on how to make the different types of curtains.


When displaying items in a gust room, I don't like it to have a cluttered feel but an interesting and inviting look.

The desk in the sitting area my daughter, Cassie, also found in a garbage pile beside the road. The outside wood was so damaged. I knew it would have to have a good paint job and I could not wait to try out this new silver paint. I removed the broken brown lattice off the glass doors and did all repairs. You would never know where it came from (but now you do since I share my secrets!) Join me next time for a wonderful guest basket to have on hand to welcome your guest!

No comments:

Post a Comment