Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Our Kitchen

 
The kitchen in our house is like a meeting room for all, every one likes to gather for cocktails when my husband and I start cooking.
 
 
The kitchen area is small, I have packed a lot into a small space. The bar area was a must for friends and family to gather around. I sometimes place a salad or appetizer of some sort there for people to gather around. The wicker chairs were from a second hand store and were faded in the original beige color.* I made a wash of white, teal and blue and painted on with a paint brush. Because it was a wash, the wicker absorbed the paint to give it a beautiful finish. The rug was a find at a garage sale, and yes I almost fainted when my daughter Cassie told me to go check out this rug.
 
 
There are a total of 36 different mismatched pull knobs in my kitchen and they make me smile every time I pull out a drawer.There are 28 different tea cups that hang under the top cabinets. The tea cups will be taken down and washed and used for the up coming bridal brunch, for our beautiful Mamie.
(up coming event!)
 
 
The old glass canister set for dry goods was a find at a antique store. Sometimes when finding old glass pieces, they may be missing a lid. Buy them any way; a lot of second hand stores may have something to be a clothes enough match.
(This was the case with one of the spice jars that match my set.)
 




 
 I have had many people ask me if my flour and sugar go bad in my jars. The answer is no, that is how much baking that gets done in this house! Does Ya Ya have cookies baked ? You bet!


 

 
 

 
When displaying a collection, keeping it grouped together maximizes the display.  
 
 
This is my English bus collection. I always laugh when I look at it. All my grand kids have played with them including my oldest grandson Tyler who is 13 now. When our youngest grandson, Bishop, comes in we fill his little hands with buses and he wanders around and plays. So.... some of the buses are missing their wheels, and that gives them wonderful sentimental memories for me.
 
 
 Sometimes I like to display a cute hand towel on the dear antlers. 

 
It's the small things that make the biggest impact. My best friend from high school, Ann, showed me this. Its a little pin you might add on a vintage dish towel or an old linen cut down as a runner, these are the things that make a house a home.
 
 
*( A white wash is any paint color mixed with water to give it a runny texture, I use this on very absorbent wood or wicker.)
 
A special thanks goes out to Mr. Bob Citrolo who did all the wonderful renovations on my kitchen from the ground up. Bob is the most wonderful contractor you can find and his ideas are very efficient  for today's living.

No comments:

Post a Comment