Monday, May 19, 2014

Chinoiserie Chest For A Guest Bed Rooom

Chinoiserie chest, hand painted for my daughters guest room.


My daughter Amanda just bought her first house. With all the excitement I was given the privilege of decorating the guest bed room, starting with a blank canvas is so much fun.
 The first thing that came to mind was hand painting a chinoiserie scene on a old chest I found in the trash. So, became the beginning of a fun guest room. Because I was bringing in different blue's I had to change the wall color to a bright white satin.




Starting with the backdrop, I used the paint colors gray, white, beige, and off white and worked these colors in using brushes and sponges.  Then using a pencil, I used free hand to draw the scene then painted and highlighted using nine different hues of blue.


The old hospital bed is one of my finds riding down the road on trash day.  All I had to do was prep, paint, and buy a single mattress.  The fabric for the back drop pillows and curtains were chosen to bring out the scenes on the plates and vase's.  Needing large pillows to act as a back rest, I cut them out 25" x 25" with no piping added.  Then added green and blue pillows to make the extra statement.


The room itself along with the windows are small, so I raised the curtains to the ceiling making the room look larger than it appears.  When sewing the curtains I added ten extra inches, not only for the fold over at the top but to give it a puddle look at the bottom. This is why I like to sew all pillows and curtains, you can get the look you want. The curtain rod is a large wood dowel that I painted white and added artichoke finials.


I added a white carpet so the blue would continue to make a statement. The silver table is a match to the antlers by the bed. The chair was a find by my daughter, Cassie... (like mother like daughters)! The same fabric as the accent pillows was used to cover the chair.

 
The chair was painted white then I stapled the fabric on.
 
 
Try to keep staples in a row so you can hide them with your covered piping.
 
 
A solid green fabric was used to cover the piping. Trimmed close to stitches, hot glue gun was used to adhere the piping to the chair. 
 
 
This mirror, yes you know what I am going to say, (trash find!).  I cleaned it up and painted it white. This hangs above the chinoiserie chest. Using all the beautiful finds and redoing them saves a lot of money so the cost of this room was minimal. Thanks for dropping in and happy treasure hunting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment